Dr. Snark

Trials and Tribulations of Veterinary Practice Ownership

Saturday, February 03, 2007

That's Why

As a continuation of the previous post with regards to limited hours, I had two opportunities these past few days that cemented my decision to continue with the hours I'm currently offering and not adding more.

First, a colleague of a dear friend passed away of a heart attack at the age of 51, at his desk, at work, last week. No known health or heart issues. Healthy guy. I will continue to spend time with my family, and take long vacations, because I still can. Too many people put travel and other fun things off until retirement. But what if, by luck of the draw, your time is up before then? You never get the chance. My motto: Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. And while that does apply to work and chores around the house, mostly it applies to relaxation, spending quality time with my family, and never forgetting to say, "I love you."

Second, I had the opportunity to visit a local family physician's office this week. The posted hours on the door? Monday and Tuesday 9-5, Wednesday closed, Thursday 11-5, and Friday 9-5. Closed Saturday and Sunday. The rest of the time you get the answering service. Need I say more?

Go forth and enjoy life, for tomorrow you may be struck by a bus.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I love you Dr. Snark. You know what's in my heart.

    Just wish I had thought of this...instead my family/friends get to hear it.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you ever coming back to post though? Are did you decide on a permanent vacation?

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Dr. Snark,
    I am a junior in high school. I want to become a veterinarian. To do so, I need to apply for internships. I already work for a single-veterinarian, small-animal veterinary practice; in the 2007-2008 academic year, my senior year of highschool, I will be interning somewhere on Wednesdays. As a veterinarian, what would you recommend? The possibilities I have been looking at have been laboratory work, working with a large-animal veterinarian (although there aren't any nearby), or research work. What would you, personally, recommend? Thanks!
    Nicole

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    Hi,

    I am looking for input from veterinary practitioners, and those who work in vet hospitals or clinics, about credit card processing.
    What are some problems you are facing with your current merchant service provider?
    How many checks are you guys accepting in overall method of payments? Any bounced checks?
    How soon is the money being deposited into your account?
    What is important to you when processing credit cards?

    Thank you,

    Diane
    diane@paymentmax.com

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i just stared, no problems here.....

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good point... yes we cant be too busy to forget our health...
    Dr Snark, Ive given your blog a mention on my new forum, www.petdoctorforum.com (im a vet too) please come and read the forum, join, check out the private vet section too (its all free!)...you will need to pm me (the admin) to get into that section too... take care, matt

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Anonymous LM said…

    Consider yourself lucky. Some people work twice as much as your posted hours and still cant afford thier own home much less vacations.

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Anonymous old vet said…

    Really i love u Dr.Snark

     
  • At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Pet care said…

    Thanks Dr. Snark!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home