Dr. Snark

Trials and Tribulations of Veterinary Practice Ownership

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm Not a Martyr

I had a client call the other day requesting that their records be sent back to their previous vet. "No offense, Doc. It's just that a couple of times we needed you, you weren't here. We like you and all, but we want someone who is more available."

Yes, veterinary medicine is a 24/7/365 job. And in prehistoric times, as we've all read in James Herriot's books, before the advent of emergency clinics, yes, the noble veterinarian was available no matter what the hour, to answer the call of duty.

We've come a long way, baby! Veterinary medicine is a whole new ballgame. With malpractice claims rising (Did ya hear that vets are the new targets of the lawyers? It's true.), advances in emergency and critical care for our patients, no longer is the GP capable of doing it all. I'm not talking about those vets out in the boonies, whose clients have no other option but to call them at 3 am. I live in a fairly large city. Within a 20 mile radius, we have more than 10 emergency and specialty practices that are open 24/7/365. That means that there is no lack of available care for my patients.

Factor in that in this day and age it's not a good idea, man or woman, to arrive at an expensively equipped, drug-laden practice, in the middle of the night to meet someone you don't know. It's just not that safe any more.

Second, if I have to perform a caesarian section at midnight, who is going to help me? I'm just a solo doc with a staff of 4. The two receptionists can't help me. The technician could, but will she be able to work the next day? The kennel assistant, maybe. While surgery time isn't that long in an uncomplicated case, what about aftercare? Who is going to watch the dog overnight on her IV pain med drip? Who is going to make sure the puppies don't strangle themselves in the bars of the cage? Me? If I sit up all night, what about the sick cat I'm supposed to see promptly at 8 am, if I haven't had a lick of sleep?

Trust me, you're far better off taking your pet to a brightly lit, well-staffed emergency facility in the dead of night. Really. Would I send you off to a place I thought would do you wrong? NO. In fact, if my own pet suffered a severe emergency I'd be taking my pet there too.

Third, it's a quality of life issue. I have a wife. I have three sons. There's church and scouts and soccer and baseball. Choir. I'm not about to make my wife a veterinary widow. Did that in the early days of practice, building my clientele. Then the boys came along. My kids need to know their dad. I'm not going to miss their childhoods. Sorry, but my family is far more important to me than your dog.

Does this mean I'm uncaring? Uncompassionate? Hardly. It means that for me and mine, I've chosen balance. After nearly 19 years in practice, I've learned that I can't be all to all people. I close at 6 pm. The person who calls at 6:03 is mad because we refer them to the emergency clinic. I could stay open until 7 pm. then what about the person who calls at 8?

I'm no longer open on Saturdays, either. I can hear the collective gasps from the peanut gallery. "But Doc, every vet is open on Saturdays! It's the busiest day! You could make a killing being open on Saturdays!"

Maybe. What I found that when I was open on Saturdays, sure we were bombarded with business. But Monday through Friday were slower. Factor in a lot of non-client emergencies begging to be seen in the chaos. Forgotten appointments by those who slept in. Employees fighting over whose turn it was to work. I missed many of my boys' games during those times. I missed my eldest son's first home run. No more.

So, dear client, I'm sorry I have a life. I can't be available all the time. Good luck with the new place. Their extended hours are convenient, I'm sure, but they're split up amongst FIVE doctors, not one. And, bet you didn't know that they, too, are not available at midnight. Seems their docs need a life, too.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Moof said…

    Dr. Snark ... yours is the first Vet Blog I run across, however I do know a fine blogger who's worked in Veterinary medicine for a long time.

    I found you from a comment you left on Dr. Anonymous' blog ... and I agree - even Vets need a life. You shouldn't even have to explain yourself!

    Great blog! I'm blogrolling you.

    By the way, you have comments set up to only allow for those who have Blogger blogs ... but I don't. If you click on the link I leave you, it will take you to a very old blog that hasn't been updated since 2005. My real blog, if you'd like to visit, is here.
    Don't feel obligated! I just hate to send people to my old blogger blog! *LOL*

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dr. Snark, I think I might be in love with you.
    I'm a veterinarian who really feels your pain. Someone posted your article on the truth about spays and neuters on VIN and I have been going through your blog and really relating!
    Take care,
    h.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to say I like your priorities. It is your family that needs you the most and hopefully your family that sustains you.

    We had a work acquaintance that did know he had heart problems and was told to slow it down, but wanted to do it anyway. He had a huge house, successful business, didn't spend much time at home. Found dead at his desk one morning at 42 years old.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    10-4
    as a cow doc, we have no options but to be on call-which is the worst part of the job

    Twisted Uterus
    http://twisteduterus.livejournal.com/

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am not a vet but i can understand and agree with your decision. in fact as so many vet open in the area, you should be able to take sat off. it's not only a good thing for you and family and also for your clients (since you will be much more rested for our pets during the weekdays.) your life is always more important and i have to say as a pet owner, we are the one who should be prepared for our pets emgergency needs, not you . so i think that's perfectly fine for you to take an extra days off!! Good for you and your kids ( kids do need a dad not only his money!!)

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger MadVet said…

    good onya mate. I'm on-call every 2nd weekend at the moment in a 2 vet practice. We're not too busy so I still get stuff done but it does stop be from committing to any sports teams & many other social events (Murphy's Law - as soon as you make plans the phone rings). However I am still single & have only been practicing for 5 years. How my boss did it alone I will never know as I can't wait to hand the phone over. I know even this is not a long-term solution, not unless I want to stay single for the rest of my life! Well done on drawing the line & getting some of that work-life balance that vets so often miss out on.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Sounds fair to me.

    My beloved vet open 9-5 Mon to Friday and Saturday from 10-12. Somehow I always manage to get in during those hours. Wed he takes off and has a semi-retired vet cover for him at the clinic.

    If I could make my own hours I would!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home