Dr. Snark

Trials and Tribulations of Veterinary Practice Ownership

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Here's your clue...

You bring your dog in for his annual visit including a heartworm test. We ask if you need to purchase more heartworm pills, as they must be given monthly. You assert that you give them regularly, but you'll pass on a refill, as you still have plenty left. Computer records show the last time you purchased heartworm medication was in 1999. If you can clone those pills that are reproducing in your kitchen cabinet, let us know. I'd like some, too.

You bring your cat in because she's off today. I look at the cat. The poor thing is emaciated, dehydrated, shriveled like a prune. She's covered in fleas, her eyes and nose are crusted over. The only way I can tell the cat is still alive (if you can even call it life) is that the cat makes a gasping sound every so often. I ask a few questions to determine how the poor kitty got into this state, and you reply emphatically, "But she was perfectly fine, yesterday!" Fine?! I think not. Maybe she was sort of sitting sternally yesterday. But she was NOT FINE. Or maybe yesterday was actually 3 weeks ago, and you can't admit you haven't laid eyes on your own cat in nearly a month. And I'm sorry, but I can't fix this for fifty bucks and a shot of antibiotics. And when you choose to put the little kitty out of her misery, you sob and claim how well you treated her, how you did everything you could for her. Can I buy a cup of that delusion, please?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger The Princess Mom said…

    The pills aren't reproducing in the cabinet. It's possible the client is buying doses from an online vet store and actually is giving the meds as directed.

    My vet looked at me funny at my last visit for not agreeing to the Heartgard refill. I'd just gotten a year's supply, from the same clinic, two months earlier, but it wasn't noted in Jack's chart for some reason. It's their computer records that are wrong, not my dog-parenting, but as far as that vet knows, I'm being neglectful.

    I completely agree that the cat thing is egregious, though.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Dr. Snark said…

    In order for them to purchase that prescription medication, they need authorization from their vet. IE, we need to write a script or authorize a script.

    But then, there are unethical online pharmacies who do fill purchase orders without scripts and have been fined for doing so. Fodder for another day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home