Dr. Snark

Trials and Tribulations of Veterinary Practice Ownership

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

But...do you want THIS dog?

So many times we get clients who listen to our examination findings and treatment options only to say, "Well, it's just a dog." Or, "It's not really my dog. It's my son's dog." (That the son is only 4 fails to register). Better yet, "It's just a stray." Me: "How long have you had him?" Them: "Oh, about 7 years."

I hate to be the bearer of bad news: It's YOUR DOG. Not the kid's, not a stray.

To some, the dog is disposable. In the same sentence that they ask to put the dog to sleep for a treatable problem (broken leg, swallowed toy, bladder stones), they ask if we know a breeder so they can go purchase a NEW dog.

Easier to buy a new one than care for the one you've already got? Apparently the family dog isn't always a member of the family.

Over the years I've learned that I can't care about the dog more than the owner does. It hurts too much, and I can't save them all. And no, I won't take your dog and treat it for free.

Take responsibility for the life that YOU have taken into YOUR home. It's not the vet's responsibility to take the pet off of your hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home